Soeper Irfan On Senin, 08 Mei 2017

The game developer community is awesome. It gave me so much help through my work and studies, and that's why I decided to take the time to give it back. I hope this will help some people, please enjoy it.

Working from home or working at the office? Which one is better?

Today I wanna share with you about my work experience, before I jump into a game industry I was a young graphic designer and I still remember my first salary was 15 USD/month, I know it's very short amount of money but that was my first-time earnings experience, so it still a good memory in my life. A few years later I go to Autodesk seminar at my school, I'm so amazed by their video reel, and there are a film and game talk session as well, for the first time in my life I know what I want to do.

 (Autodesk DEC Industry Networking : Rebirth of International Animation Studios September 2012)

After that, I start learning from youtube about how to modeling in 3ds Max for three months before I moved to Maya till this day.

My very first 3D model in Maya (2012)

The bear and the turtle (my first and the second 3D character)

I keep practicing and finally make my first 3D portfolio in 2013.

My first 3D Portfolio (2013), I do a lot of character art back then before finally decided to focus on environment art.

Then I join with some local game developers, mostly mobile game. That is my first time learning game engine, Unity Engine. Sometimes I do a global game jam at Jogja Digital Valley, making game in 48 hours with my friends, but I'm the only one 3D artist, most of my friends are programmer and 2D artist, it was hard and fun at the same time because I have to make all the 3D assets by myself which I have to stay awake for two days, but it's worth because we make something we love.

That is my short story about how I jump into a game industry. Then in 2014, I have a chance to work with an international team in a bigger company.

In 2015, I decided to work from home, because I have to go back to my University to finish my degree in computer science.


So what I have learned from my experience? What is the different between working from home and working at the office? which one is better?

At first, I thought working from home is easier than working at the office, because the working hour is more flexible which I could have more free time and I don't have to walk to the office every Monday to Friday anymore. But I was wrong, working from home is way harder, here's why:

1. Working from home have more free time
Nope, I was wrong. When working from home I don't have any workmate that I can share with or ask any advice when I'm lost, I have to solve the problem by myself which frequently end up with overtime.

2. Working from home have more freedom
Sorry, I was wrong too. When working in the office I can freely talk about something new, like a new idea, new technique, new technology and so on. But when working from home I can't do that anymore because the communication is harder, especially when I was working with a company which has 12 hours time difference, I don't wanna make it worse and I have to ask a clear question or clear answer to avoid miss communication. So I just follow every instruction from my Art Director except when he asked me about my opinion.

3. Working from home? Aah I can wear anything I want
Oops, again I was wrong. At first, I don't care about what I wear, you didn't want to know what I was wearing lol.
But after three months, I feel like jobless, even I have a job. Because every time I saw myself at the mirror I look messy, it affected my discipline and my mentality, I realized it's not just about artwork, it's about work attitude as well. Since then I always wearing a good cloth like I usually wear in the office.

4. Working from home is easier
Unfortunately not. It was a tough experience for me, I miss people who share the same passion. Surrounding by passionate people, it help me grow faster as an artist, I remember when I got my first task to learning level design in Unreal Engine 4, I never use Unreal Engine before, ok in the first day they just want me to try how to export and import asset in Unreal Engine, but then the next day they want me to do almost everything in the level editor, what? How can I do that in a short time? But at the end I made it, I don't know how I still can't believe it, I think that's the advantage by surrounding with passionate people who always push you up.

So, working from home is bad?

Don't get me wrong, it depends on the individual. Some people prefer working from home, some people are enjoy their daily life at the office, and of course they have their own reason, from my personal perspective, I agree that working from home is tough, but working from home is not that bad, here's why:

1. Problem solver
You didn't have any workmate to share with, which you need to do everything on your own. Every time the problem come, you have to solve it by yourself, it helps you to be a better problem solver and become more independent.

2. Management skill
You didn't have a manager or a secretary, or a lead artist who always keep an eye on you. You are the manager, you are the secretary, you are a lead for yourself, you are gonna learn about self-management, making the schedule, deadline expectation and so on. Those things will help you to improve your management skill and become more organized.

3. More time to think
In the office, I usually spent time with my workmate at lunch time, after work or even on the weekend. When working from home I can't do that anymore, but I have more time for myself to think. With more time to think, gives you the chance to clear your mind, focus, and think more clearly. You're more likely to make better choices, also may come to appreciate your relationships with the people more after you've spent some time alone.

Here's a video from The Scene that generally explains how its looks like


I think that's for today, which one is better? you decide. I have to remind you again that is just base on my personal experience, so any advice are very welcome, thanks for reading I hope you enjoy it, and have a nice day!

If you have some questions or just want to say hi,
Feel free to contact me here

Email : cgirfan@gmail.com

www.artstation.com/artist/irfancg